Everyday Victim Blaming

challenging institutional disbelief around domestic & sexual violence and abuse

i am being abused and am trying to get out

I am being abused by my mother and i need help and when i go to counseling they want to diagnose us. I am trying to get out but again i am also being reprimanded and being treated terribly.
I am very very upset...and need a family member to listen. She is an abuser and always was and I need help to get out.
please help. are there any places for people to get help.


We do NOT give permission for posts published as personal experiences to be reproduced, translated or otherwise published elsewhere. We will not contact people who submit their personal experiences on behalf of journalists, bloggers or other third sector organisations. These testimonies remain the intellectual copyright of their authors and must be treated with the ethical guidelines used by academics for research involving human subjects. Our full guidelines can be read here.

Comments are currently closed.

2 thoughts on “i am being abused and am trying to get out

  • Admin says:

    We believe you.

    Due to the confidentiality of this campaign, we do not have any contact details for you.

    Could you contact us by email [email protected] & we can signpost you to some support?

  • Adam says:


    I’m really sorry to hear about what you are experiencing.

    If you feel that living in other accommodation might give you the space and safety that you would like, there may well be organisations close to where you live that could help with that.

    Approaching those organisations might sometimes be a difficult step to take, so there may be some support in your area that could help you to do that.

    What is available will depend a lot on where you live and how old you are.

    If you live in the United Kingdom, and you are over 16, your situation would come under the definition of homelessness, and your local Council would have a legal duty to offer you support with your housing, and to provide you with a safe place to live. Often, local Citizens Advice Bureaux are good places to get help with approaching Council’s homelessness services and making a homelessness application.

    You can find where your local Citizens Advice Bureau is here: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/about_this_site/get_advice.htm

    The homelessness charity Shelter can also offer support with this:

    [Both of these links are for people who live in England. People who live in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland would need to use different sites, as would people who live in countries other than the UK.]

    Another excellent website for finding helpful organisations is provided by Homeless Link, another homelessness charity.

    There is a site for the UK as a whole:

    There are also five other sites that are specific to particular parts of the UK: Homeless London; Homeless Black Country, covering Dudley, Sandwell, Walsall and Wolverhampton; Homeless Edinburgh for City of Edinburgh Council; Homeless Northern Ireland with Council for the Homeless; Homeless Cork for Cork City Council. You can access all of those via this link:

    So the majority of what I’ve included in this comment is for people aged 16 and over who live in the UK. If the information is relevant to you, and you would like to ask any questions about it or discuss any of it, I’d be happy to do that either here in the comments or via email – EVA have my email address, so you could email them with any questions and they could forward that email to me, having taken out any information that could identify you personally.

    Equally, if you are under 16 and/or don’t live in the UK, let me know either here in the comments or via email and I’ll look up some information that is relevant to your circumstances.